Westbury Quarry was once known as Broadmead Quarry and there is evidence it was a working quarry from the 1884 OS map of the area and lies on dolomitic conglomerate rock. It was once a parish quarry and was worked for building stone till 1949. Westbury Quarries ltd was bought out by William Griffith & Co. They traded as Mixconcrete Holdings Ltd and introduced a new crushing, screening and asphalt plant, and the stone was then used for road building. They were then acquired by an Australian company Pioneer Aggregates (UK) Ltd which was then purchased by Hanson in 1999. They quarried until 2003 and the site lay dormant until it was purchased by its present owners. The site covers a total of 34 acres of which 17 acres forms part of the extracted limestone on 5 levels and over 60m in depth. Fossils of cave bear and small mammals have been found where a large cave collapsed some 600,000 years ago. It is a designated SSSI.