There has been a quarry producing dimensional stone at Doulting since Roman times. Evidence of this was the unearthing of Doulting stone cut quoins in the remains of a building in Shepton Mallet, next to Fosse Lane. The reserve of Doulting stone, an Inferior Oolite, can only be found in the small area around the village of Doulting, and it is renowned for its’ quality the world over. Back in Victorian times the company employed over 70 stone masons. A decline in the use of the stone, saw the quarry reduce in size and go through various owners until the Keevil family bought the surrounding land and reserve, and eventually the quarry with A.R.C. as sitting tenant.
In 1994 Colin Keevil decided to terminate the tenancy with A.R.C. and set up his own stand alone business, ‘The Doulting Stone Quarry’. Heavy investment in plant and machinery allowed the quarry to offer the stone in block form, but also sawn six sides and in fully finished form. Continual investment in machinery and personnel has enabled the quarry to expand. There are over 200,000 tonnes of reserve, assuring the continued supply of quality stone from a truly historical yet modern quarry.
One man operates the quarry from cutting and slicing through the quarry face with a huge saw which was purchased in the 1950’s, to operating a huge truck, exchanging forks and bucket. There was an extraordinary rhythm to the work.
Historical notes: Colin Keevil – http://www.doultingstonequarry.co.uk/Quarry_History